Moments after stepping off the plane from New Orleans I headed into San Francisco to present at the Northern California Human Resources Association's Compensation Conference.
After a week of interacting with 10's of thousands of HR Professionals, a few questions remained:
1. Why aren't things changing at a more expedient rate?
I left SHRM17 with a mission to help organization find their Utopian Employee Experience.
... The concept was immediately applied at NCHRA's Compensation Conference.
We asked attendees to answer this question... answered varied.
In essence, your Employee Value Proposition addresses a single and all-important question:
- Do you have a better compensation package?
- Is optimal pay enough to create an irreplaceable Employee Experience?
- Is there a clearly defined opportunity for advancement?
- How is working at your company like no other professional experience?
You can gather employee insight through:
- Idea sharing portals (or even a suggestion box)
- Light touch, frequently administered, pulse surveys
- Conversation.... (this is the ability to leave your office and engage Employees in face-to-face communication :()
What Are You Gonna Do About It?
Anyone can ask questions and/or gather opinion. Action Planning is a strategic necessity that commonly remains unmet.
~ You can spend a million dollars on tie tacks, but if nobody wears ties this "reward" will do more harm than good.
~ If you ask for opinion but do not take action, employees will fail to trust.
~ Without HR Intervention in workforce planning, incompetent middle managers will continue to drive away the leaders of tomorrow.
Micro-Management has given way to Purpose-Driven Leadership!
For planning purposes, the opinion from the trenches matters more than those of the C-Suite.
Innovation is a human practice with a defined, strategic path.
Employees would rather have opportunity for advancement than pats on the back.
It is imperative that we are crystal clear in reforming our company purpose, that we validate through feedback and action plan for the future with transparency at the forefront.
Thank You for Reading!
Originally published on Dave's Weekly Thought blog.