- You'll see friends you don't see often enough. It is possible the NLRB may prohibit H.R. from having friends, so enjoy the friendships while you can. You might be thinking, “The NLRB cannot regulate HR." Silly rabbit. Friendships among HR professionals could chill concerted activity by employees covered by the NLRA. As logical as.....
- You will have exposure to an incredibly diverse selection of topics and speakers. If you have a particular interest, there will be a session it. Oh, one exception: There will be no sessions on how to get a seat at the table. And a warning: Anyone who uses this expression will have to serve as an on-call employee relations specialist to serve all the companies present.
- The line-up of plenary speakers is incredible. And the entertainment! Now, I know that some of you are thinking, “I was hoping for Barry Manilow.” See me and I will tell you where you can see him on a Weekend in New England.
- Now, there’s one problem with going to the SHRM Annual Conference: You have to leave your office. If you are like me, every day, when the alarm goes off -- in my case by 3 cats -- you think or say, "I can't wait to get to the office." We will have mobile therapy stations to help with workplace withdrawal.
- Of course, there is so much to do in Orlando. If you arrive early or stay late, or need a break in between, the opportunities available to you go beyond this blog. Of course, make sure your fun is wholesome. Friends don't let friends go to strip clubs.
- Finally, if you are not sure yet, you can delegate all intermittent FMLA issues to a colleague back at home. Magical. Or, as Barry would say, “Could it be Magic?”
Please join us for a magical conference. I feel honored to be a part of it. Thanks HR for adopting me!
“Attend Jonathan Segal’s session “Social Media: Risky Business of Risk Aversion” at the SHRM Annual Conference & Exposition.”
The SHRM Blog does not accept solicitation for guest posts.