As another SHRM Annual conference looms in my immediate future, I find myself looking forward to several things during this time in Washington DC.
- On the keynote side of the house, Amy Cuddy (author of Presence) is the one I am most looking forward to hearing. I know several people who heard her speak during May’s WorkHuman event in Orlando and all had only good things to say. My own conference, HR Indiana, looked to have her but alas our conference coincided with the start of her term teaching at Harvard.
- I’ve not spent the time reviewing the concurrent session grid to know with certainty everything I am attending. My friend Karl’s session on Tuesday, Advanced CFO Wisdom is likely one you will find me attending. Given the changes coming out of the NLRB (just down from the conference site!) I expect to get some updates on those activities as well.
- One of my favorite things during the SHRM Annual Conference is time spent with the SHRM Foundation. I know they are releasing 2 new reports during the conference, and are partnering with Fitbit on a step challenge. Anyone who has attended SHRM before knows that walking is constant and achieving 50,000 steps during the time the conference runs is a realistic goal. I hope I remember my Fitbit charger!
- Of course, no SHRM conference is complete without the after hours social events. Don’t discount them and the learning and sharing that occurs!
- Speaking of social – the time with my SHRM Blogging friends (and yes, they are friends!) will be a highlight and will serve to recharge my HR batteries. There is no greater group of people than these smart and accomplished HR professionals. I am honored to know them.
- Finally (and most importantly!) I am being joined in DC by my wife and daughter. They will be tourists while I “conference”, but I will have some time to spend with them as well as some family who live in Northern Virginia. It’s my daughter’s 1st time to our nation’s capital and I hope she enjoys it as much as I do each time I have the chance to visit.
If you’re going to be there, please send me a note. If we haven’t met, I would love to meet you! Reach out via twitter @bradgalin or come by the SHRM Bloggers Lounge (room 102A)