On behalf of SHRM, and in honor of National Volunteer Week, I want to express my gratitude to you, our generous Volunteer Leaders all over the country.
Year-round, at conferences, chapter meetings, learning events and even on Capitol Hill, our thousands of SHRM volunteers give their time and indispensable talents to ensure that our profession is visible and leading, as we enhance opportunities for HR professionals. We at SHRM recognize that you continue to volunteer, year after year, in various roles, at a time when your HR jobs with your organizations have become more complex and challenging.
Volunteering also takes time away from families, yet you commit to serving—because you believe in the power of our profession.
I always like to know what drives our most passionate SHRM volunteers. When I ask them why they do it, I hear a variety of responses:
- The desire to give back to the profession that they love;
- The opportunity to try new leadership roles and prepare for the next rung on the career ladder;
- The chance to connect with peers both locally and across the globe;
- Fun and fellowship through events and activities with like-minded people from our profession and local community;
- And of course, learning and experiencing all HR has to offer as a career and a calling.
- These are only a few of many reasons.
For me, the most important thing I know about our volunteers is that SHRM would not exist without you. Our profession cannot thrive without you. And every task you complete is an important building block.
It’s been said, “Volunteers are unpaid—not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless.” So, I want to thank you again for raising the profile of our profession and for joining us in our mission to serve HR professionals and advance our profession. Your contribution is immeasurable.
It is a privilege to work with you, and I thank you for serving.
- 151 views
Add new comment