While President Donald Trump called for paid parental leave in his State of the Union address, the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is supporting enactment of the Workflex in the 21st Century Act.
SHRM strongly encourages the White House, Congress and employers to support H.R. 4219. It addresses the needs of businesses and employees by providing predictability for employers and generous paid leave and workflex options for the workforce.
The bill provides a promising solution to the interest in providing paid leave in the workplace by:
- Providing more generous paid leave than all state paid sick leave laws.
- Extending paid leave to all full-time and part-time employees.
- Guaranteeing all employees a flexible work – or workflex – option, such as a compressed work schedule, telecommuting or job-sharing.
- Requiring employers, not taxpayers or employees, to bear all costs.
- Maintaining and complementing protections afforded under the Family and Medical Leave Act.
“Workflex in the 21st Century – that says it all,” said Johnny C. Taylor, Jr., SHRM-SCP, president and chief executive officer of SHRM. “The bill fits the changing nature of people’s work, their schedules and their needs.”
Developed with SHRM’s direction, the bill has been referred to the U.S. House Committee on Education and the Workforce. To learn more about H.R. 4219, visit: www.shrm.org/about-shrm/press-room/Pages/Workflex-in-the-21st-Century-Act.aspx.