Each month, Next will feature a must-read book for today’s business leaders on the ever-changing workplace and workforce. SHRM’s We Know Next is a resource for business leaders, HR professionals, and policy leaders to stay ahead of emerging workforce trends. If you have suggestions for future book club features, please email us or let us know on Twitter @weknownext. We hope you enjoy our first pick and that you’ll tell us what you think!
In today’s changing workforce, The Chief HR Officer: Defining the New Role of Human Resource Leaders offers the most current thinking on the evolving role of the chief human resource officer (CHRO). It’s an essential resource for both experienced and aspiring CHROs as it shows leaders how to best prepare for and perform this critical role. This vital guide gives practical advice and research from some of today’s most successful CHROs – including American Express Company’s L. Kevin Cox; Reebok International, Ltd.’s David A. Pace; and Libby Sartain of Manpower, Inc. and formerly Yahoo! — as well as top academics such as John Boudreau, Marshall School of Business at USC and Dave Ulrich, Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan, on a wide range of topics, such as:
- Coaching and counseling the CEO and board of directors
- Strategy, management, leadership, ethics, globalization, talent and regulatory best practices
- Effectively leading and performing in the CHRO role
- Forming and implementing activities to further a firm’s strategy to remain competitive
- Adapting and addressing the demands of an increasingly diverse and demanding workforce
David A. Rodriguez, Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer at Marriott International, said, “This is a definitive guide for human resources leaders who are at the frontlines of competitiveness for their organizations.”