We are counting down to the biggest HR conference in the world, the 2019 SHRM Annual Conference and Exposition very exciting! With so much to see, managing your schedule, balancing work and evening activities, we want to encourage you to maximize this opportunity to network and get to know your fellow HR colleagues from all over the world. #SHRM19 offers the best opportunity and venue for HR professionals to network, connect and create better workplaces!
Seven Tips for Networking at #SHRM19:
- Networking starts at the airport, so dress to impress! It’s highly likely that someone else in the airport or on your flight is also headed to Las Vegas for the SHRM Annual Conference. Wear SHRM swag which will prompt an immediate connection with other conference goers!
- Practice your elevator pitch. Focus on three essentials - Connect, Inform, Engage…the rest will come naturally.
- Prepare one networking conversation starter question - Is this your first time at Annual? Which keynote are you most looking forward to?
- The first general session on Sunday is a MUST! ARRIVE EARLY to enjoy the official conference kick off. Let your laptop, work calls and email rest for one day, you’re worth it! Snag great seats and initiate conversations with those around you. It’s okay to be giddy, you’re in good company!
- BRING PLENTY OF BUSINESS CARDS and/or add your info to the official conference app, this will help you share your contact info quickly. If someone does not have a business card, politely ask if you can take a picture of their badge so you can look them up later.
- Take advantage of social media. Download the conference app, hop on Twitter, use the conference hashtag #SHRM19 to maximize visibility before and during the conference so people can find you and connect IRL!
- Lastly, if you feel completely awkward with any of the networking tips offered, it’s okay to backdoor network. It’s a thing! Go ahead, grab a seat near people that look friendly whether you’re in a session, at lunch in the expo hall or riding the shuttle to and from the convention center. This offers an alternative to ease your way into meeting other HR pros.
Most of all, smile, be kind, considerate, present and positive…we’re all in this together!