You are probably sitting in the airport on your way to #SHRM15 going what.the.hell. I’m not ready. Where do I go? I just sat at gate C3 and recognized 20 others from my small town going to the conference. Multiply that times a jillion other cities. Crap. It’s a big conference.
DON’T SWEAT. You’ll be fine.
If you are late on the upswing prepping for the conference, here are a few things that will ease your mind.
- The App is where it’s at. Download the SHRM15 app. It really will walk you through a bunch of stuff.
- Use your air-flight time wisely. Spend the $10 on wi-fi, you cheap-skate and work on the plane. And this is easy work. All it takes is one hour to surf the #SHRM15 app or webpage to navigate the speakers/schedule.
- Don’t over-schedule. Just like anywhere else, enjoy a little breathing room. I say pick 4 must-see speakers. The rest of the time....
- Check out the Smart Stage. Lots of speakers talking about innovative things. You can hang out there most of the time. Problem solved. Or…
- CHECK OUT THE EXPO FLOOR. Check out all the new technology. Please, don’t miss this part of the conference. If you are an HR pro, you must learn how to leverage technology to help you do your job better.
- Make scheduling easy: Pick two speakers that will help your organization and two that will help your professional development. Looking at the speakers in terms of “tracks” is helpful.
- But I want to give back! I forgot to register for the SHRM Foundation event! Give to No Kid Hungry. A bunch of great HR pros have championed this cause. Click here to give.
- Forget to pack shaving cream? You are going to Vegas, not the moon. You can get some at the Airport, the hotel, a block down any street. Vegas is built for people who, at any given moment, forget stuff. That’s their thing.
- What about my luggage!?? Fretting that you won’t be able to land, go to the hotel, then make it to the conference to hear Coach K? Or the Expo? No worries. They have a big luggage pen at the convention center to park you stuff while you attend.
- My nails look like crap! Airport = nail file + clear coat = good to go.
- Please have fun. I mean, it’s Vegas.