Conferences present a unique opportunity to gather like-minded people. Your SHRM Team has created a star-studded line up for you. Here are some tested suggestions to make your Conference one of the best and most memorable in Vegas.
- Be Here Now. Be Present. Devote your time, attention and energy to the Rock Stars that you will have the chance to meet in June and re-connect with those Stars with whom you have been touring before! There will be thousands of experts in your area within your reach. Take full advantage of this awesome opportunity and focus on the many resources at hand.
- Begin with the End in Mind. Plan now, what you want to gain from attending this Vegas Session! Be specific, so that you can be successful in finding the answers you are seeking. Many of us are wrestling with a puzzling question that is keeping us up at night; be prepared to ask it of many of your colleagues later in June. If folks know what you are looking for, they will help lead you to colleagues who can be an added resource. If you know who you want to meet now, set an appointment to make it happen!
- Keep an Open Mind. Be open to learning from any and every one. Plan to attend at least one session that will stretch you as a professional.
- So Many Sessions, So Little Time. Create a game plan of your days and a back-up plan. Strategically attempt to meet folks who are presenting sessions that you cannot attend. Possibly, do a quick introduction at the beginning or end of their session to make for easier follow-up.
- Create a New Posse. Engage new colleagues in conversations at all open/networking events. It is easy to hang with the folks you already know. Make some new friends.
- Business Cards Required for Admission. Do not forget your business cards. Create LinkedIn connections as your follow-up and keep the connections current post your time in Vegas. Our own Steve Browne is one of the best connectors. He would agree, this is a contact sport.
- Avoid the Distractions of the City. Resist the temptation to sightsee, take in a show or enjoy some favorite chef cuisine. You came to this SHRM Annual Meeting to learn something specific. Drill-in and find the subject matter experts. After hours you can find the lights of the city, the many wheels of the city and maybe even a wedding chapel.
- Challenge. Design your challenge now to gain optimal insights from the Conference that will aid you both personally and professionally.
- Networking Can Happen Anywhere. Sometimes, the best work done at conferences is chatting in the hallway or the lounge. This is one time where – what happens in Vegas does not need to stay in Vegas.
- Get Your Smile On. You never know where the cameras will find you! Plus, you will meet more interesting people with a smile.
Advice offered by Diane Fennig, Senior Consultant, The Human Capital Group. One of the Blog Team for #SHRM 19.