Yesterday, #nextchat featured the #SHRM18Bloggers celebrating what’s truly amazing about SHRM’s annual conference, and what we’re looking forward to this June in Chicago. One of the questions that got me thinking was about the unique and exciting opportunities for us to get to know the city of Chicago. There is a proud and engaged group of local SHRM leaders and members in Chicago and they can’t wait to show off their amazing city to thousands of HR pros coming into town for #SHRM18.
Another tip I got today on #nextchat was that planning ahead, but not planning every minute, is a great way to be ready for fun and learning at #SHRM18. One of the things I really enjoyed about New Orleans at #SHRM17 last year was the opportunity to really see a beautiful city with fascinating history and architecture, and a culture all its own. I enjoyed participating in a running tour, where I heard the stories and lore about the different neighborhoods in the city, while seeing them firsthand during our run.
In Chicago, I’ve heard from more than one trusted friend that the river boat architecture tour is a must-see. Saturday evening is a wonderful time to take in the sights of the city before your pre-conference sessions start on Sunday. For more information, check out the Chicago Architecture Foundation.
More fun ideas for sightseeing follow:
- Cloud Gate is that huge shiny bean-shaped sculpture that is highly recognizable, but it’s not the only feature of Millennium Park.
- So much history and fun at Navy Pier!
- The Art Institute of Chicago has a great local photography exhibition during #SHRM18, called “Never a Lovely So Real,” and many other exciting exhibitions coming up.
- Like to shop ‘til you drop? Try the legendary Magnificent Mile.
- Did you know that Jane Addams was the first American woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize? Visit Hull House to learn about the history of the settlement house movement.
There are so many more ideas I am gathering to plan an unforgettable Chicago trip for #SHRM18! And I haven’t even scratched the surface yet-what about the pizza? Stay tuned for more from the #SHRM18Bloggers on how to plan for your best SHRM Annual Conference ever!