- Compete in the Case Competition. Work with a team to gain valuable insight into what it would take to be an HR professional and solve for a real life HR case. Winners will receive a $2,500 prize and free registration to the SHRM Annual Conference and Exposition; the world’s largest HR event.
- Connect with the Future of HR. Make new friends and mingle. You never know where the future will bring you. Having connections from other regions around the country can become valuable resources once you graduate.
- Sit Down with HR Professionals. What better way to position yourself for a successful career then to take advantage of the one on one career mentoring sessions offered and have your resume reviewed by an HR professional.
- Enjoy a New City. Take an extra day at the beginning or end of the Case Competition and Career Summit to explore the city or visit with friends in the region. This is a great way to maximize your investment in travel.
- Hear from Inspirational Speakers. Expose yourself to new ways of thinking and discover how to be more successful in your HR pursuits.
The SHRM Case Competition consists of a one-day event where teams of up to six undergraduate or graduate students from various colleges and universities compete in both oral and written presentations. The case is created specifically for the SHRM Case Competition and can focus on any number of HR issues (i.e., Management Practices; Selection & Recruitment; Training & Development; Compensation & Benefits; Employee/Labor Relations; and Health, Safety & Security or a combination). The teams have four hours to read, evaluate, and draft both the oral and written presentations. After the four hour preparation period, the teams provide their written presentation to one set of judges for review and present their oral presentation to another set of judges. The judges receive the scoring criteria which they use to evaluate both the written and oral presentations. The teams have 15 minutes to present their oral presentation. Due to the large size of the competitions, there may be two separate judging rooms – in this situation, the highest ranking team from each room will move on to present their oral presentation to a combined set of three judges in front of an audience. The highest ranking team from this evaluation will be the winner.
There are many benefits to the SHRM Case Competition. The SHRM Case Competition is an event that offers the opportunity to bring professional HR professionals, students and student chapter advisors together in a meaningful way. The effort it takes to plan and conduct the SHRM Case Competition is worthwhile and beneficial to the professional members as well as the students. The professionals judging the cases get a fresh look at the knowledge, skills, and enthusiasm of the HR students that are getting ready to graduate. The students receive an opportunity to network with other students and showcase their knowledge to HR practitioners.
Jump start your career today. Visit us here.